Thursday, October 30, 2008

Fight

I haven't written much lately, mostly because I haven't had anything worth saying. But also because every time I think about writing a blog entry I go check out the other cycling-oriented blogs around, and when I read the Fat Cyclist blog I realize that I really don't have anything worth saying.

The Fat Cyclist is Elden Nelsen, and his wife Susan is dying from cancer now. She's had cancer for a while - beat it once a couple of years back - but it came back, and this time it's winning. She's in hospice now, which is a nice way of saying that they are keeping her comfortable until she dies.

My brother was in hospice before he died, and I can tell you from experience that it is truly surreal. You try to stay upbeat, and you keep saying goodbye. Then the person dies, and you think that you said everything that you needed to say and were prepared for it, but it hits you then that you should've said or done this, and it hits you later that you really, really weren't prepared at all. I have no idea how it feels to be the person dying, but I doubt that it's any more fun.

Elden has Fat Cyclist jerseys available, the sales of which have been going to help pay for the huge expense of cancer, and this year's version says "Win, Susan." Now you know what that means. And they've been fighting, and the battle is almost over and they really have to fight harder than ever. So, if you can, focus some positive energy at Elden and Susan and their kids.

Fight, Susan.

No comments:

Post a Comment