Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The State of Cycling in the Virgin Islands

First, because I know that you are all forlorn due to the dearth of pearls of wisdom falling from my mouth ... okay, so maybe now you're not. Let's look back at that first sentence, scratch our respective heads, and wonder at its tortuous construction. All I can say in my defense is that a week in manana-land can turn your brain to mush. I don't know how Hemingway managed.

Anyhow, I'll give you the full rundown on our sailing fun later this week. Today, I just wanted to show you some cycling pictures from the Virgin Islands.




These were parked at the Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda. We had just finished a really hard walk in the hills, so the yellow one probably doesn't go far. The blue one won't go far, either, if somebody doesn't fix that chain.


This is on St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands. This guy was really working hard on this hybrid, apparently out training in the wiind. He would have been working less hard on a bike that actually fit him, of course, but I admired his moxie. You can see a lot of moxie in the Virgin Islands if you know where to look, and most of it you wish was a little less visible. There's a reason that "thong" rhymes with "wrong."


More later ...

No comments:

Post a Comment