Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Some Busier Roads, But Still Pretty

Monday night, it got cold -- 40 degrees. Well, that may not sound cold to you, but keep in mind that I've been in southwest Florida for a year.

Fortunately, I had a new sleeping bag that was good to 30 degrees. That, and a good pair of wool socks, and I was fine all night.

It took me a bit longer than it should have to break camp in the morning, however. Fingers don't work as well when they're cold, and I found myself just being ... well, deliberate with stuff. It was after 9 am when I finally left Standing Stone State Park and got on Hwy 52.

It's a busy road, but has a decent shoulder. They've rumble-stripped it, so the shoulder ain't what it used to be, but it goes the way I needed to go.

I got a little turned around in Livingston, since my GPS wanted me to head straight towards Kentucky and I wanted to stop in McDonald's. It wasn't like I needed another breakfast yet, but I did want to use their wifi to post the previous day's blog. The diversion netted me a few bonus miles, but I had plenty of time.

Taking Hwy 111 north, I was once again on the shoulder of a busy road. Once or twice I was able to cut over to some more quiet lanes, although the dogs came out to play. I also got off to see beautiful downtown Byrdstown.

Then it was back to 111, which I stayed on to just past the river.

Here, I was able to take one nasty harsh climb, which eventually led to Old Kentucky Road. Any road with "Old" in it is usually good.

Unfortunately, I soon has to get back on US-127, which has no shoulder and lots of truck traffic through Albany. I stopped at McDonald's there for lunch (all I could find), and got groceries for that night's dinner and the next morning's breakfast. The road was a little less busy after I got through town, but certainly still pretty.

Soon, I was crossing over Wolf Creek Dam, which is huge. They're doing some kind of expansion or replacement on the far side, and had huge machines at work there which I had never seen before.

I stopped on the top to get a picture of the spillway. I kept expecting to see Richard Kimball come flying past.

The view down from the dam was pretty good, too.

My late start, extra time at various McDonalds's, and lolly-gagging was making me run out of time, however. It was after 4 pm when I finally got to the entrance to the park, and the signs showed that I had five miles to get to the campground. Fortunately, they were pretty miles.

I got a pretty good campsite -- close to the bath house and fairly level -- and was set up before night fell. Instead of going to the lodge for dinner, I cooked the can of soup that I had bought in Albany, and sat up reading for a while. The night was warmer, and very comfortable. In the distance, I could hear coyotes yipping, and watched bats swooping around the streetlights to catch insects. Besides me, there were only RVs camping there, and they all turned in pretty early.


  1. Wolf River Dam is being repaired because if it failed part of Nashville would be swamped.

    John Hickman

    1. Thanks, John. From the looks of things, once they get it all built out it should last a couple of centuries.