Sunday, March 4, 2018

The Easiest 100K Yet

March came in like a lamb here in Seattle ... or maybe like a lamb kebab that's been in the fridge for a few days: Dried out and cold, but palatable. Over the years, I've learned to take what I can get, so I went out as soon as possible to get in my March 100K.

Continuing my exploratory string, I decided to do the Centennial Trail Run (RUSA 1354). The route starts in Snohomish (I've been pronouncing that exactly the way that it looks, and I am almost certainly wrong), which I had briefly visited on my last 100K. This time, however, I drove here. Tip: It takes longer to drive here than you think, particularly on a weekday.

The first control was the Snohomish Bakery (also the control from my February 100K). I'd opted for a 10 am start, in hopes of enjoying the warmest part of the day; however, the day pretty much stayed in the upper 30s and low 40s. The plus side of this was that it simplified my attire needs, since I didn't have to worry about stashing anything that I took off and/or might need later. Basically, I just stayed dressed the same all day.

As you can guess from the tip above, I got to Snohomish less than 10 minutes before my start time. I found a parking spot, got my bike out (I'd opted for Sparkletini today, just in case the rain potentials turned out to not be in my favor), ran over the bakery, scarfed something (maybe a scone? it was all so fast) and hit the road about five minutes late.


This route has much to recommend it. For one thing, it's almost entirely on the Centennial Trail, which is a rails-to-trails that connects Snohomish to Arlington and points just beyond. I've learned never to say, "you could not get lost" because I've got friends that can get lost anywhere, and I've also found that anyone can get lost on any route if they are sufficiently sleep-deprived. But, that being said, you'd have a hard time getting lost on this route.


About the time I saw this espresso stand (great thing about the Pacific Northwest -- roadside espresso stands just about freaking EVERYWHERE), I realized that I had been on this before, and on this same bike. Sparkeltini and I had used this on the first day of my four-day tour from Seattle to Vancouver. I seem to recall parts of it still being under construction then, but it is now complete and very well marked.

We'd had some strong winds out of the northeast (not the usual direction for winds here) a week before, and some of the residue from the clean-up remained. Overall, however, the trail was in excellent shape other than the usual areas where roots or improperly packed base have caused rippling and buckling of the asphalt. So long as you watch for those and keep at least one hand on the bars, however, you should be good.


I was trying to maintain a 15 mph average, and soon I was in Arlington. Although this is a nice little town, the trail here runs along one of the busier roads and you have to slow down or stop regularly for the curb cuts.


From Arlington, you start to see mountains. The tops were covered in snow, and I started to worry that I was going to have to climb at least the base of them. My fears were unfounded.


You know you're on a rail-to-trail when you go by the old station building. They're usually welcome centers like this or museums, but sometimes they're shops or restaurants.


Leaving Arlington, I stopped to get this picture of the view up the river towards the mountains.


Just before the end of the route, the trail ends. At this point, you've been on it almost 30 miles.


North of Pilchuck (not much of a town, but they do have an espresso stand), the trail ends at this lovely parking lot. There's a barn with all kinds of historical stuff that you can read when you're not trying to do a 100K in a time limit. Of course, I just got on the road.


You roll north on Washington Hwy 9 to Lake McMurray and stop at the store there. The lady there actually has a stamp for my card, just like you get at controls on 1200Ks. It was so cool.

I ate a bag of chips and drank a cold ice tea out in front of the store, but the breeze coming off the lake and my cooling body made me keep the break short.


Leaving the store, I stopped for another picture of the view of the mountains behind the lake.


Hwy 9 had a lot of logging trucks while I was on it -- at least six passed me during those five miles. The drivers all passed cleanly, however, and I've always loved the smell of sap from fresh-cut trees.


I got back on the trail at the same place, of course, and headed south. The wind had been fairly light and out of the east, so it was no help on the first leg. It shifted a little south later, so it was less help then.

Another sign you're on a rail-to-trail: You go through a swamp. For railroads, it was always flat land that they just had to build up a bit, and it was cheap.


We had a bit of snow over the past weekend. In West Seattle, it was all melted. But along the trail, in shadier sections, some of it remained.


Again, as you expect with a rails-to-trails, none of the "hills" were tough. There are really two lumps on the trail, with the first one being about 15 miles wide at its base. This meant that I had a "climb" of about eight miles at 1-2% on the way out, followed by a "descent" of another eight miles. With the wind shift, the "descent" at the end of the route was much appreciated, since it allowed me to keep my average up to 15 mph.


I got back to Snohomish right at 3 pm. The lady at the bakery knew the drill, too, and signed my card as soon as I pulled it out. She said that when it gets warmer they'll get big brevets coming through, with randonneurs out the door and everybody yelling, "Don't forget your card!"

Other than the long drive up to Snohomish and the fact that it's an out-and-back, I enjoyed this route. The trail lends itself perfectly to a 100K. And with less than 1,500 feet of climbing, plenty of shade from sun and wind, and lots of places to stop for food or drink or potty breaks, this should make a good option for any time when I need to get a "fool-proof" ride in.

No comments:

Post a Comment