Monday, December 19, 2011

Keeping it Short

Gonna make it. Yep. That 2011 goal I set? Back in January? You know, to keep the overall mileage for the year to less than 10,000? Yep. That one.

Gonna make it.

Wasn't all that hard, really. Cold winter. Then crashing on my hip. Kept going, of course, but the hip ... Well, you know.

Still did a bunch of long rides. January 200Ks. A windy 300K in February. A really fast 400K early March. North Florida makes that easier, even going over the highest point in the state. Then tried to do another. Hip held up okay but ... well, other things acted up.

Then May and June. Cut back some to race. And come July and August I was busy getting ready to move to Naples.

Then late September was The Move. And getting the house ready for furniture. Had to cut back on miles as I figured out some routes. The mileage started getting back to normal.

It actually got back enough that I was tempted earlier this month. Looked at the log. Did the math. Ride 400 miles a week for the last four weeks, and I'd be there. Five-digit-bike-mileage. Fourth year in a row.

No freakin' way.

Don't wanna. Just don't. Don't wanna do it just for the sake of the number. Gotta break the chain, you know? Gonna happen sooner or later. Do it now, and it won't sting as much when I fall short the year I turn 85.

9,700 miles for 2011 will have to do.

'nuff said.

3 comments:

  1. Uh huh, better get to riding, 300 miles isn't that much you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. You're in Florida. Back on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Randoboy, that still makes you more than 3X the cyclist I was in 2011, and that's my biggest year ever. Congrats on cutting back so much. Have a good '12.

    ReplyDelete